On April 1, 2021, Pantheon will be increasing monthly hosting rates for UC Berkeley. They will also start enforcing traffic limits for their hosting plans, which may result in increased costs for sites with high traffic (number of site visits).
OCIO Will Subsidize the Vendor Rate Increases from April to June 2021
The Office of the CIO (OCIO) understands the significant financial challenges facing campus teams, and that even small rate increases can be difficult. To give campus teams extra time for budget planning, OCIO will subsidize the vendor rate increases for all sites on Pantheon from April to June 2021. Campus teams using Pantheon will start paying the new rates beginning in July 2021.
Why are Web Hosting Rates Increasing?
Pantheon is increasing their hosting rates, and enforcing previously-documented site traffic limits.
This means that:
- rates for current hosting plans will increase;
- two new hosting plans will be available; and
- sites exceeding the traffic limits associated with their hosting plan (see Table 1, below) may need to upgrade to a different hosting plan.
Pantheon hosting rates (per month) will increase as detailed in Table 1, below. (Note: Despite the rate increase, UC Berkeley websites will still receive a discount as compared to Pantheon’s public pricing.)
|Hosting Plan||Current Rate||Increased DIY Rate||Pantheon List Price||Monthly Pageviews|
|Basic||$20||$39||$41||Up to 25,000|
|Performance Small||$75||$106||$160||Up to 25,000|
|Performance Medium *||N/A||$177||$275||Up to 50,000|
|Performance Large||$300||$338||$550||Up to 150,000|
|Performance X-Large *||N/A||$553||$916||Up to 300,000|
* New hosting plans
Questions and Resources
If you have any questions about Pantheon's rate increases and policy changes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The new hosting rates for UC Berkeley websites are published on the Drupal and WordPress Sites on Pantheon webpage.
Campus websites on Pantheon must be secure and accessible:
- Security: Websites must be kept up-to-date on security patches (both the core updates provided by Pantheon’s upstreams, and contributed modules/plugins).
- Accessibility: Websites must be accessible to people with disabilities (per the UC Accessibility Policy and Berkeley Website Owner Responsibilities). Use the DIY Accessibility Checklist to find, track, and address accessibility issues with your website, and enroll your site in Siteimprove (for automated accessibility testing).